March 15, 2014

A pair made for each other

Don’t you just love it when things come together?  My favorite pickin buddy and I went shoppin yesterday, a long over due girls day. We both found a lot of cool treasures. She found a beautiful quilt and with all her dickerin talent she talked the lady down to $20.00. At the same shop I found another wood dough bowl (Munising again) for a mere 12 bucks ! Wood dough bowls are just falling onto my path these days.
Among some other really awesome finds, I found this primitive commode (that’s what the tag said). I bought it to use as a night stand, but after I got it home and in it’s intended place, I quickly changed my mind.

 
IMG_3700

 
You might remember this church cupboard from a earlier post. As you may have expected, I’ve used it in several areas since.

 
_MG_2019


Well, I think I finally found it’s final resting place! The two pieces just go together so well.

 
IMG_3741

 
When I first spotted the *commode* my thought was to paint it. . . white. But when I saw the two pieces together I changed my mind. .. I think. . . I’m still teetering on the idea.
I put it I my dining room, which is more primitive than the other rooms.
What would you do. . .? Leave it or paint it? I’ve always been of the belief, if you don’t *love it* the way it is, and have a different vision, go for it. But in this case, for the first time, I’m torn. If I paint it, do I paint the inside as well? Do I leave doors and inside natural? I will, for sure, leave the top natural, that I do know.
I finally have a place to display my wood bowls (providing my collection stops here)

 
IMG_3688

 
Just drool over this incredible hardware. . .

 
_MG_3752

 
And the time~worn patina.
It does need a good oiling. Which I will do, IF I decide not to paint it. IF I DO paint it, I will  leave the top natural wood and stain/oil it.
 
UPDATE. . . (I didn’t publish this post right away)
I have lived with it for a few weeks now, and I thought something would have happened {Pinterest, blogs, input from friends}to help me decide whether or not to paint it. As of late. . . still no decision.
 
I’m kind of anxious to see how this all pans out, at this point I have no idea.
 
Hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend, it’s sunny, warm and spring is in the air here in Montana. . . .
 
~d

2 comments:

  1. Wow Debi what an amazing piece this is, I absolutely love it! I can't believe how well the two pieces go together, it was meant to be! I would be torn over painting it too....I would probably leave it as is but then suddenly one day find myself painting it white, I just can never help myself:) And I LOVE that hardware on it, such a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love painted furniture, but I also love primitive. I would not paint it; just clean & oil it to display your wonderful pieces. I have both painted & primitive pieces in every room of my 1959 ranch house. I also love the hardware - those gorgeous hinges are on my built-in garage cupboards.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Feel free to let me know you were here.