February 15, 2014

Winter blues ~

 
I am sooooo over winter. We are having some pretty awesome weather, temperature wise, but there's still a ton of snow.
 
These are the kind of blues I like.
 
_MG_3391
 
 
_MG_3389
 
 
IMG_3372
 
 
Don’t ya just love this vintage metal laundry basket? It’s one of the several things I got on a *pickin trip* last summer. My friend met an old gentleman in one of our local antique malls. They chatted for a bit, then he told her he had 3 buildings of stuff he wanted to get rid of. . . say no more. . .!
When one goes on excursions like that, one never knows if the seller is motivated to sell or if they think what they have is worth a fortune. In this case he was motivated and only charged us what he paid for each item. Not only did we score, but we’ve been back a few times, so he is willing to dicker with us.
 
I found a dealer that makes several trip a year to France and brings back awesome grain sacks. He knows I LOVE them and also knows I will by the imperfect ones. He sells them for 20 bucks and less. He’s also willing to give discounts for multiple purchases. . . my kind a dealer :)
 
 
IMG_3376
 
 
IMG_3373
 
I cannot, will not and have not cut a grain sack to make a cushion cover or pillow. I just can't bring myself to do it. I do, however, stuff a body pillow in them and use them that way. This one, *US*, will go on our bed.
 
 
IMG_3350
 
 
This is a plate I found in one of my stashes. I got it when we were going thru my Gramma’s stuff after she died. It’s from Norway, dated 1901, 2 years before she was born. It’s signed and has something printed on it in Norwegian. Her parents migrated here from Norway in 1900. After my Grampa died she took a trip to Norway. It was the highlight of her life. She always stayed in touch with her cousins, aunts and uncles, so this was a chance to meet them for the first time. A few of them came here to visit while she was still alive.
This was a gift from one of them.
 
 
IMG_3403
 
 
Yip, the winter blues have taken on a whole new meaning. And, I think I like it.
 
 
 
~d

3 comments:

  1. Hi there...
    The words on the plate tell the name of the church ....
    Here is a link that you move to a translation site and learn all about "your" church.
    http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppheim_kyrkje
    Love all of your grain sacks and "blues"!! We got two burlap sacks with printing on them, for Christmas. I'm still trying to decide what to do with them.
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link J. . . now if I could just understand what it says. . . I don't know if you got my e~mail, if so I'll say it again. . . Thank you so much for the calendars, it was so very sweet of you. . . we need more kind people like you in this world. ~d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving all your blues! I'd love to find a few blue and white quilts to cover up our aging sofas!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Feel free to let me know you were here.